The Yakima Area Arboretum was founded by volunteers in 1967 and continues to depend on volunteers to help maintain its many trees, flowers, and display gardens.
Volunteering is a great way to meet new friends, earn community service credits, protect your local environment, increase your knowledge of plants and trees, and help maintain and enhance one of Central Washington’s greatest treasures: The Yakima Area Arboretum.
Volunteer Opportunities Include
- Events – Join one of the Arboretum’s many fundraising or educational committees. Work a registration table or other planning or setup tasks related to an event (i.e., Luminaria, Plant Sale, Garden Tour, Arbor Festival, or Autumn Bounty.
- Marketing/PR – Distributing materials and finding outlets to help build community awareness. Desktop publishing or graphic design.
- Writing and/or editing articles for the newsletter.
- Gift Shop – Greet visitors, help stock shelves, track inventory, and help with customer sales.
- Class Instructor – Do you have garden or art expertise? Consider teaching a class.
- Adopt a Garden – Help maintain one of the Arboretum’s many display gardens.
- Tour Guide – Guide a Fresh Science group or give a private tour.
- Inventory the Collection – Keeping the trees and display gardens labeled is an ongoing process, you can help with this by replacing labels and signage as needed.
- Gardening – Assist with weeding, mulching, planting, and other ongoing maintenance of our grounds and collections.
Yakima Area Arboretum Requirements:
- Most volunteer hours will take place between 7 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday.
- You must be able to commit to a set schedule of at least 2 hours per week.
- You must show up on time and be ready to work.
- Dress for the weather and wear clothes you do not mind getting dirty.
- Most volunteer work requires physical activity. Let us know if you have physical limitations.
Duties at the Arboretum might include:
- Picking up garbage, weeding, raking, and digging holes
- Assisting with events, i.e. setting up tables, emptying garbage cans, moving plants, etc.
- Sanitizing bathrooms, cleaning windows, doors and walls, sweeping, vacuuming and other duties as needed.
Court-Ordered Community Service
As a non-profit 501 (c)3 organization the Yakima Area Arboretum qualifies as a court-ordered community service provider.
Opportunities are available for individuals 12 years of age and older. However, individuals between the ages of 12 and 14 years must perform their community service hours under the direct supervision of their parent or guardian. Yes, parents and/or guardians volunteer together.
The Yakima Area Arboretum has the right to dismiss a volunteer from service at any time and for any reason. Volunteers that successfully complete their community service hours will be given a letter on Arboretum letterhead verifying the number of hours they have worked.
The following guidelines must be met to be accepted.
Typically, the Yakima Area Arboretum DOES NOT accept court-ordered community service for these types of violations: Felonies, Sex Crimes, Violent Crimes, Animal Abuse/Cruelty and Crimes Involving Children.
If you would like to complete your court-ordered community service hours at the Yakima Area Arboretum please call or stop by the office during business hours (Monday – Saturday, 9 am to 5 pm) with the following information:
- Your name & age
- The number of hours you need to complete and when they need to be completed by.
We will do our best to accommodate your request. However, volunteer opportunities are not always available in the time-frame needed.